Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I blame Hwang

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com
Button ($9.70)
Hero (SB) ($10.20)
BB ($8.20)
UTG ($4.80)
MP ($7.90)
CO ($22.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, A, 10, Q

UTG calls $0.10, 1 fold, CO bets $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.20

Flop: ($1) A, 5, J (3 players)

Hero checks, UTG checks, CO bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60, UTG calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.80) 4 (3 players)

Hero checks, UTG checks, CO bets $2.70, Hero calls $2.70, UTG raises to $3.90 (All-In), CO calls $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

River: ($14.50) 8 (3 players, 1 all-in)

Hero checks, CO bets $8.30, Hero folds

Total pot: $14.50 | Rake: $0.70

Results:

UTG had 9, J, 4, Q (two pair, Jacks and fours).

CO had Q, A, J, A (three of a kind, Aces).

Outcome: CO won $13.80

What kept me in the hand until the river? I had a read on the CO. He was playing a wide range of hands and was getting lucky. I was patient and looking for hands that might play well post-flop. I was definitely a dog to the Aces preflop, a little more than 2:1, with the UTG not too far behind. That's how we roll in PLO. UTG, however, was drawing dead on the flop, and I had inched closer with the flush draw and gutshot Broadway. In doing the calculations I was somewhat surprised to see that the turn did not improve my percentages. UTG apparently thought his crappy two pair were good and jammed what he had left, which didn't really change my mind as I was now drawing to the nut flush as well.

Someone must have folded a fistful of diamonds. And where the hell were all of the Kings? And I'm sorry CK, but my experience with your precious crubs runs contrary to yours. It's nice when it works out but it can't every time, can it? And I don't really blame Hwang. Sometimes one just bricks with 20-plus outs.

A hundred hands later I was the victim of a hit and run runner-runner. Moral victory: another 50 hands later I was even.

No comments: