Friday, October 17, 2008

That other questionable avocation (not farming)








I am meeting with a gallery owner Monday, over coffee, to take a look at my work. I already know that I am not a “fit” for her gallery, but that is not why we are getting together. This is the same gallerist that lined up the installation project I did last May, and is in charge of sales for the work in the Mayor’s show from this last July. This woman is a dynamo, knows everyone, and she’s really nice to-boot. I know she likes my work. In fact, I believe she is working on another installation project for me, and if I understand her correctly, the piece is to be permanently installed. So, I also know that she is thinking of me. I am hoping that the meeting will spark some ideas about whom I should approach for exhibits, or have some ideas about what to do otherwise to get my name out in the region.

In preparation for the meeting, I am compiling a lot of video work for her to glean and trying to get final edits done on the photos from “Burn Season.” Because I had scanned them at a lower resolution the first time, I was up most of the night re-scanning. The “mistake” offered me a chance to review the photos in a format larger than the original slides, so I was able to start editing which pictures I wanted to work with further. I went from 35 images to 20. This was a good thing, for rescanning at 4000 dpi instead of 2000 dpi took considerable time.

I was able to play some poker while scanning, yet because I was multi-tasking, I played a fairly tight, very math-based ABC game. Let’s just say that I was able to take advantage of a Dupe and was rivered by another, essentially breaking even for the night. I also sweated our dear Mr. Gumpo, who quadrupled up in one room. But I should let hime tell that story.

Enjoy the pics.

7 comments:

Forrest Gump said...

Nice photos B - does the smoke ever hang around? In bushfire season we've had smoke haze for weeks thicker than a London fog.

The quadruple hand wasn't much poker, I limped with AA from early and some donks went crazy with what i recall was not much. I'll post it for historical record!


FG

bastinptc said...

Depending on the amount of wind and air pressure, the smoke can either be barely dedectable, or can fill the valley with a brown haze for many hours. Little pieces of burned grass rain down on nearby fields, including ours sometimes.

As one might suspect, there is an ongoing dispute about the necessity of these fires and the air quality. I'm pretty neutral on it myself, yet I do intend to highlight the issue by showing what "beauty" ensues.

On a side note, living in a rural area as we do, we have electric heat, which is nearly prohibitively expensive. Therefore, a lot of people, including us, have wood stoves, which saves us about $1,000 or more on our winter electric bills. The trade off is that the brown haze persists for those months.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Memphis MOJO said...

I can't decide which photo I like best -- they each have something that makes them appealing.

I see good girl hit you too. Do you know how to get rid of posts that are spam?

bastinptc said...

Thanks for the compliments, guys...and gal? Mojo, no, I don't know how to get rid of spam. If GG is indeed spam, I I suspect I would find out if I clicked on the nick, which I won't, I am surprised that it is here at all, coming from China and all. Maybe one of the hordes of a poker army about to sweep the world....

Memphis MOJO said...

If you go in and look at comments (on your own blog), next to each one is a little trash can and you can click on it to delete GG's spam. I see that others are having the same problem and Jordan at High on Poker even wrote a blog piece about it.

Memphis MOJO said...

GL with the meeting Monday. Let us know how it goes.