Monday, July 11, 2011

All Blues


We baked these babies tonight, and they were great. The first potatoes from "the garden." The quotes are because I dug these spuds not from the garden I planted this year, but from the compost pile in which last year's crop was planted. They're volunteers. And there's quite a few of them, a lot more than in this photo, waiting to be harvested.  Most are All Blues, yet judging from the flowers on some of the plants, there are a few russets in there as well.

I'll be harvesting all of the potatoes on this pile early because I'm not watering it. In fact, there are a couple Kobocha winter squash coming up as well, and I may transfer them to the garden and hope for the best.

But with the daytime temps at 70° and night temps down to 50° and below, I'm not holding out too much hope for the late squash, or for any of the tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.

No comments: