Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Feel the burn

I thought I'd give you a few action shots of the fires. There is talk of rain tomorrow, so I guess they got while the getting was good for I spotted at least fifteen fires today. The eastern sky was so cloudy that one could barely see the foothills, and none of the smaller mountains leading into the Cascades. It also made the photography difficult for the haze dampens or yellows the colors. I found myself staying west and downwind of the fires in order to get any good shots. If it does indeed rain tomorrow, the fields that have been burned already will lose their black, which will hamper my efforts; yet, there are still many fields left to be burned, including those near our house. Tomorrow, provided the rain is not too hard, I will go out to shoot what I am sure is numerous photo ops in the fields that were burned today.

I like this photo. Not sure why.
To give you an idea of the size of the smoke clouds, this fire was a good three miles away.
I'm about a half mile away from this fire as it is just getting to a good roar.Right on top of the same fire. I could feel the heat as I drove by. Funny thing, at the end of the field there was a woman photographing the same fire.And now, the artsy shots. The photo above has a corn field on the right.
The terrain in these last two photos is almost too gentle of a slope for my needs. Many of the fires today were in a more hilly terrain. Tomorrow I engage the 4WD.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Even though it's not "artsy" (as you call it), the third one down is one I like. I can feel the power of the fire somehow.

Do they ever burn at night?

Good job.

bastinptc said...

Occasionally they will burn one just as the sun is setting, or at least they used to. To see one up close is pretty awe-inspiring in the daylight. At dusk one can see just how much fire there is within the smoke. Perhaps I will try to chase a late one down, and if successful, get some video as well.