Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Just a little reminder

According to several blogs that I read, there is a wave of game downswings. Some are ascribing it to luck, or the lack thereof, to a slipping power of positive thinking, and, of course, the A-rag calling stations. I, too, am in a bit of a slump. I could argue, in fact, that I have been in a slump/holding pattern for two years. It gets a little frustrating to be card dead for hours, days and months at a time. It just doesn’t seem natural. Big pocket pairs get crushed, sneaky little draws from the SB don’t get paid and sleep gets disturbed.

Oh, I win. Sometimes there are moments of sheer magic and demonstrations of skill. When I ask myself why I even bother with this game, it may very well be that somewhere under all of the negative thoughts lurks an infrequent memory of such hands, and I am driven to return to the tables yet another day. A good run must create some very strong and enduring synapses.

Yet, to lose for an extended period takes one’s head into some very dark, cob webby corners. I would maintain that these are the moments that, as a test of meddle and faith, sharpen our discipline and improve our games.

There has been a fly in my studio for the last couple days, flying around my head, landing on my monitor and being a general nuisance. I have tried to catch it several times, missing until just this moment.

Make that two flies.

I will be patient.

3 comments:

Forrest Gump said...

I'm also not having same run I did last year B. This is over a 6 month period so its a good sample size.

Either I ran like amazingly well or the NHL has gotten quite a bit tougher. I honestly think a mix of both.



FG

bastinptc said...

I almost feel the same way. Indeed, I had an amazing run for a good six months or more. That's enough of an anomaly to skew one's perception. And, yes the games have gotten tougher, looser in some instances, which brings an additional degree of difficulty.

This may why folks are cycling through Omaha now.

PAPro_SandMan said...

It's amazing how many times I hear this story repeated. Exact same thing happened to me. I made rock solid money playing Poker Stars a few years back, then I hit a really long rough spot. To tell the truth, I haven't had that kind of consistent success since. Now I'm more streaky with lots of deep valleys. Tough on the psyche.