Monday, November 16, 2009

A little poker music

You know you have someone's attention when you sit down to the right of the big stack and double up through them on the first hand.

He min-raised UTG, and by the time it got around to me in the BB, I was getting 6:1 to throw in two more cents with 7-10-J-Q. The flop was 77Q. After he raised my flop bet, I check-called until I was all-in. I wasn't going to lay it down, so I should have just jammed the turn, but eh... Only one hand beats me, and this is Omaha. Pocket Aces no good.

After that, any time I raised, he came in, I imagine looking to get a little payback. Since the guy had position on me most of the time, I knew I had to pick and choose my spots carefully.

As the game wore on, I noticed that it wasn't just me. He was calling everyone's raises. He also did a fair amount of raising himself. And he was losing. And it wasn't because he was getting bad beats while playing stellar hands.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

BB ($4.65)

UTG ($4.05)

Hero (MP) ($9.20)

Button ($3.33)

SB ($4.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8, J, 10, 9

UTG calls $0.02, Hero bets $0.09, Button calls $0.09, SB calls $0.08, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.07

Nothing new here. Even 6-handed, three players will call a raise at The Deuce.

Flop: ($0.38) 9, 2, 9 (4 players)

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.38, Button calls $0.38, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.38

Somebody else has a nine. let's see who it is.

Turn: ($1.52) 8 (3 players)

Sweet!

UTG checks, Hero bets $1.47, Button calls $1.47, UTG calls $1.47

Well, we can't all have a nine. Someone has a big pocket pair, or three deuces.

River: ($5.93) 7 (3 players)

Talk about a redraw!

UTG checks, Hero bets $2.18, Button calls $1.39 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: $8.71 | Rake: $0.40

Results:

Button had J, K, J, 3 (two pair, Jacks and nines).

Hero had 8, J, 10, 9 (straight flush, Jack high). And I got paid!

Outcome: Hero won $8.31

You just have to wonder sometimes.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

I expected to see at least a flush...

bastinptc said...

Yeah, once the straight flush hit, I wasn't wondering too much about what he might have.