Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Late night PLO

 (I'm out for good portion of the day, so this is a quickie, probably riddled with errors and incomplete thoughts. Any feedback is appreciated.)

One o'clock in the morning is my favorite time to play poker, live or online. The games are nuts.

There are two ways I approach PLO, both dependent on my mood. I look for a table or two where the dollars going in are significant and the hand percentage is high. That is a constant. The variable is a decision to play uber tight or join the fray, and that decision is based on how many of the other players at the table are playing bingo. Last night, half of the table was indulging in the blue hair pastime, and aggressively so, meaning that if I was going to play, I'd have to loosen up my hand range a bit. It would also mean that I would have to stay with draws a bit longer than I might otherwise, knowing that there was a better likelihood of getting paid for doing so.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG ($11.75)
Hero (MP) ($10.38)
Button ($0.67)
SB ($4.95)
BB ($18.56)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q, 9, K, 8

UTG calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, Button bets $0.27, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.22, Hero calls $0.22

UTG was playing a lot of hands, generally opening with a raise. She had been playing short until recently, rebuying when stacked. However, she had just won a big hand against the Button and SB and had showed no signs of protecting her winnings. Both the Button and SB were wild as well.

Flop: ($0.88) 10, 4, Q (3 players)

UTG checks, Hero checks, Button bets $0.40 (All-In), UTG raises to $2.08, Hero calls $2.08

I disregarded the Button's jam but UTG's check-raise woke me up. Clearly, she was protecting a set and may have had a redraw, although the latter I find is less likely at looser tables.With the gutshot and second nut flush draws, I'm seeing another card.

Turn: ($5.44) 7 (3 players, 1 all-in)

UTG bets $5.19, Hero calls $5.19

My number of outs just went up but, just as on the flop, I'm still a 2:1 dog.

River: ($15.82) 5 (3 players, 1 all-in)

UTG bets $4.21 (All-In), Hero calls $2.84 (All-In)

Well, If by some stretch she has the nut flush, so be it. 

Total pot: $21.50 | Rake: $1

Main pot: $2.08 between UTG, Hero and Button, won by Hero

Side pot 1: $19.42 between UTG and Hero, won by Hero

Results:

Button had 8, 7, 6, 3 (straight, eight high).

UTG had 4, 4, 9, 9 (three of a kind, fours).

Hero had Q, 9, K, 8 (flush, King high).

Outcome: Hero won $20.50

I had the feeling that my opponent was drunk, or certainly tilted from earlier stackings. How else to explain the jam on the river. No fold equity, even to a bluff.

2 comments:

Forrest Gump said...

With draws I'm looking to jam (or fold) the flop with two free pulls to come if they call. I'd be interested to see your equity against sets in this hand and how it changes on the turn when you called.


FG

bastinptc said...

FG - As you may know, math is not my strong suit, and right or wrong, I intuit hands like this. If, say an Ah or 2d would have come on the turn, I probably would have folded. Even though I have the gutshot, I partially discount the Jack precisely because it is a gutshot draw. The 7 gives me 3 more outs for a non-nut straight (say the Jack falls, I still don't have the nuts), yet it is enough to reconsider the straight as a possibility against what I read as a set. With 15 outs, I'm pretty much staying until after the credits roll.

I ran the numbers in the Omaha Calculator at CardPlayer. I remained roughly a 2:1 dog on the flop and the turn. In such instances where I know I'm behind, I check/call in some meager attempt to control the pot size. The only time I jam is when I have a made hand with a redraw to the nuttiest of nuts (set of Aces, suited and matching the board). I will, however, call a jam. Again, right or wrong...