Sunday, March 21, 2010

A matter of perspective


Wanting to get one more blog entry in the books before I leave Monday, I intended to start today’s post with a blow-by-blow of mowing the yard today:

The unusually dry, warm late winter has meant that the OCD neighbors have mowed their lawn at least a dozen times since mid-January…twice this last week. I mowed ours for the first time today, a good month earlier than I normally would. In past years the ground stayed too wet until mid-April.

It really was a somewhat involved process: a dead lawn tractor battery two days ago; a crumbling rubber washer on my gas can and the attempt in vain to purchase a replacement; the length of the grass, longer in some places than others, yet all too heavy for the grass catcher to handle on the first round; and making a second pass hours later to pick up the clippings. But I realized that the doing was a barely more interesting than the telling, so I packed my carry-on bag.

Shall I list what I am bringing to Vegas?

Maybe my neighbors are just overly enthusiastic, the anticipation of a quarter inch of growth a nearly ecstatic experience in and of itself, and therefore I should cut them some slack. Besides, I mowed my lawn twice today. 

2 comments: