Thursday, May 20, 2010

To be fair

I toy around with titles. For instance, should I start a new blog (unresolved), I think about tone, voice and topics, and depending on where I’m at in the internal discussion, fluctuate between “Clean Slate” and “Sour Grapes,” anonymity or apologia. Or maybe “Musings of a Binary Mind” as I wish in one hand and stay on-subject in the other… A quest for the ideal is fine; chastisement for not attaining it is another.

I would do well to remember such caveats, as I once again enter the art fray. Close readings can be an irritant and nigh impossible in a mirror. I can see my lips move. The social is another matter altogether, no advantage whatsoever when feedback is not forthcoming, or even worse, discouraged. Again, when one can only get a word or two in edgewise, they have to be pointed. Who is up to such a task?

Perhaps it is the wrong question to ask. In fact, with another’s attitude, there may be no need for unknowing or doubt, the social circle more a pie graph than it first seems: lots of individual wedges, the percentages shifting as new data finds a place to stand, introductions made, a welcome stated, and after that, pieces of the pie restrategized, or so it seems.

Why qualify?*

Pie holing after close readings through our filters is like inescapably failing the Ishihara. Recognizing this should make one more reticent; ignoring this should not make one more popular. Either way, silence does not seem to be an option, and I’m sure it must be old news anyway, so I’ll just come right out and ask:

Is art about not knowing what to make art about art? I propose a graduate seminar with the title, “Is this question art?”

With the emergence of PhD programs in art, are folks with only BFAs the new Sunday painters? And if so, you know where that leaves MFA grads.

Is ‘polymath’ the worst word to be introduced to the art world?

Too specific?

LET’S ASK THE EXPERTS WHO HAVE READ AN ARTICLE
OR WATCHED A TELEVISION SHOW ON THE SUBJECT.
HAVE THEM TELL us WHAT THEY THINK.

The new experts courtesy of this vehicle here, the non-poetic rays of light.

Too oblique? 

(Insert your primary concern here.)

I envision a day when there will be a trailer park that only allows cat ladies.** (Everyone fires up google to see if in fact one already exists.) And now there is at least one reference.

Yes, it is better to have something with a steady beat (all derivations of applause) if one wishes to dance.



*Let me assure my long-time readers that my mind is still as intact as it (n)ever was. I’m working on elasticity.

** Let's have some fun. Name that park! There might be a prize for the best name.

No comments: