Sunday, March 21, 2010

Herds and hordes

I just awoke from a nap. It wasn't as long of a nap as I had hoped for, yet, it being on the couch, and my rotator cuff giving me fits, not to mention the dream, I was probably lucky to catch the rest I did.

DW was doing dishes. I was in the dining room and I noticed a long-haired tuxedo cat trying to jump up onto the deck. It was having one helluva time at it, getting its front paws onto the wood, pulling the rest of its body up, only to tumble backwards time and again. I went into the kitchen to tell DW. 

As I stood next to her I could see more cats from the kitchen window: more tuxedo adult cats, some all black kittens, eight in all. I was appalled. "Eight cats!" I yelled. I thought about getting my shot gun but it was in for repairs. "Eight cats!" I said again, expecting some reaction from DW but getting none.

I decided to go outside and investigate, and as I stepped out the door, as if often the case, the scene had changed. The cats were gone and I was no longer at home, instead looking out toward the barn at my grandparents' place. No matter. I was on a mission and headed toward the woods behind that barn.

More animals. The first ones I saw coming between the tress were almost tiger-like, if tigers were somehow cross-bred with domestic cats. Again there were several and they were about the size of a bobcat, except for the last one bringing up the rear. It was a full-sized tiger, which set me on a course back to the house.

As I headed to the house I saw other animals: goats, giraffes, camels, and by the time I reached the cistern top, a heard of elephants made their way between the barn and tool shed. Then people. Lots of people waiting for a train that ran next to the cistern.

DW came out of the back door, walked over to the crowd and spoke French to a woman.

We must have gotten on a train and headed north, for the next thing I knew we were on the streets of Chicago. It had to be Chicago because I had a copy of the Sun-Times with me. I was walking ahead of everyone else. We were looking for an address. It was getting chilly and I wondered if the newspaper would make an adequate jacket.

DW was trying to nap also. I heard her say something to our ailing cat and woke up.

No comments: