Friday, February 27, 2009

Trust

I had just sat down and posted in the CO. I knew about 50% of the players at the table. The villain, however was new to me in that I had been at another table with him earlier today for the first time. I noticed a certain aggressive tendency that seemed misplaced. Something didn't smell right, just as a raise from the SB. Of course I put him on Aces, yet the longer I play PLO, I have started to see folks using any double suited hands as an excuse for raising, regardless of position. I'm fine with that.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (CO) ($10)
Button ($7)
SB ($9.20)
BB ($10.85)
UTG ($3.20)
UTG+1 ($11)
MP1 ($15)
MP2 ($17)
MP3 ($1.30)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 7, 2, 9

UTG calls $0.10, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero (poster) checks, 1 fold, SB bets $0.60, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero (poster) calls $0.50

My call was nearly a pure position move, plus I was getting pretty good odds, even with the dangler. It could happen...

Flop: ($3) 10, 6, 5 (5 players)

...and it did. If he did indeed have Aces, unless he had the nut flush draw, he was vulnerable.

SB bets $2.85, 3 folds, Hero raises to $9.40 (All-In), SB calls $5.75 (All-In)

His bet didn't make sense, unless he had the aforementioned draw. Well, he could have Aces and tens in the hole I suppose. But his big bet preflop suggested that now he was protecting, not drawing. If I called, I'd have so much of my stack in anyway, so I ran with it, like on TV.

Cardplayer.com's Omaha Calculator shows that I'm a 2:1 favorite here.

Turn: ($20.20) 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

And now I'm a 2:1 dog.

River: ($20.20) 4 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $20.20 | Rake: $1

Results:

SB had Q, A, 10, 9 (three of a kind, tens).

Hero had 8, 7, 2, 9 (flush, ten high).

Outcome: Hero won $19.20

After seeing his cards, I was somewhat stunned. How he can lead out with top pair only on an unfavorable board with no redraws is beyond me. I gave him credit for Aces, which in actuality my intial gut on him was a better read. He was inappropriately aggressive.

No comments: