Saturday, February 14, 2009

Knock me over with a feather

I had a little time to kill before marinating the steelhead trout filets we're having for dinner. I'm grilling. Also on the menu are brusell sprouts and carrots in a garlic butter sauce, and baked all-blue potatoes from last year's harvest. (The all blues have a wonderful nutty taste when baked.) So, with time on my hands, I sat in on a PLO game. I love weekends!

The table was as mouth-watering as the meal I am preparing. It was clear that most of the players were clueless in the way a NLHE overplays his hands. One player was obviously playing three of his hole cards! Right off the bat I picked up some nice hands, doubled my stack lickety-split, and before I could step on the brakes, this:

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.10 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($6.85)
Hero (SB) ($22.95)
BB ($10.45)
UTG ($11)
MP1 ($2.85)
MP2 ($6)
CO ($19.15)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, A, 7, 10

UTG calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 (poster) checks, CO calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks

Flop: ($0.60) A, 2, 10 (6 players)

Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets $0.40, MP1 calls $0.40, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.40, 1 fold, UTG calls $1, MP1 calls $1

I was certain my top two pair were good here, and I suppose I could have bet the pot, but close enough. The original pot-sized bet from UTG tells me has a wrap, possibly with a well-kicked Ace, and the smooth call from MP1, a fairly aggressive player who had just taken a pummelling, tells me that both are on draws. If I'm up against a set, so be it.

Turn: ($4.80) 9 (3 players)

OK, now I have three pair.

Hero bets $2.10, UTG raises to $9.50 (All-In), MP1 calls $1.35 (All-In), Hero calls $7.40

I can't see how I'm beat, except for a set. The rainbow board I take as a good thing.

River: ($25.15) 2 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Not a card I wanted to see. My heart sank a little. Any set had me. Even a stupid push with A2 had me.

Total pot: $25.15 | Rake: $1.20

Main pot: $8.85 between Hero, UTG and MP1, won by Hero

Side pot 1: $16.30 between Hero and UTG, won by Hero

Results:

Hero had 9, A, 7, 10 (two pair, Aces and tens).

UTG mucked K, 8, J, Q (one pair, twos).

MP1 mucked 3, A, 9, 5 (two pair, Aces and nines).

Outcome: Hero won $23.95

If my initial read on the table had been any different, for instance, if any of the regular PLO players had been at the table, I suppose I would have played this differently. As it turned out, I had a good, general take on what I was up against in regards to what the other players had. Add to that the tenor of the table, although a tad surprised I won the hand, I am comfortable with the "gamble."

4 comments:

Forrest Gump said...

Did you catch the trout and was the veg your own? *drools*

As for Stars, the juice factor has been off the scale. Without doubt its the cash injection from the new reload bonus.



FG

bastinptc said...

I caught the trout and the potatoes were ours.

I am glad to here that Stars is going well for you.

Anonymous said...

"Glad to here" ??

You drinking before noon B?

bastinptc said...

Not enough coffee.