Sunday, February 1, 2009

Torn

I am finally back to even at Stars, that is I have recovered my original buy-in and deposit bonus (I suspect I have paid double that in rake so far.) Yesterday’s evening session got me there; my late night session found me dancing around this lackluster accomplishment.

Having played a fair amount of PLO earlier, I thought a change might be in order, so I found what promised to be a lively $25NL game. It was a pretty LAGgy table, with a lot of big raises preflop and questionable calls of said raises. A lot of the water ended up chlorinating the lawn, if you catch my drift. My flush draws went nowhere, my Queens did not fare well, and small pairs failed to set up. I was mixing metaphors of blood.

Still, it was a table on which I was convinced money could be made, and from one player in particular. I mean, who calls a raise with 84off, then bluffs with it and shows the bluff? The answer is hat some players do just that and think they’re superstars for pulling it off. Here was my patsy.

I was in the BB with pocket twos. The two most active players at the table, Superstar and his arch nemesis, had both limped. The flop came 2hTs5d. Safe enough. Both players minbet and I raised it up to 2/3 of the pot. Only Superstar called. The turn was the As, putting a couple draws on the board. Mind you, I can’t really put this guy on a hand but I can assume within reason that my twos are still good. Still, I’m not looking for a cooler, so I raised 2.5 x the pot. He called. Qs on the river. Well, just great. I led with a value bet, was called and he shows an Ace and a 3 with a draw to a gutshot. Bless his heart.

Even though I win a sizable pot, I’m only back to even. And to tell you the truth, all the while I was playing in this room, I had the Stars lobby open, looking for a PLO game.

6 comments:

joxum said...

"A lot of the water ended up chlorinating the lawn..."

Huh?

/j.

bastinptc said...

A rather oblique reference to "splashing about," extending it to suggest water is being lost from the swimming pool because of the wild activity. I hope this helps.

Forrest Gump said...

I guess english isn't Joxum's mother tongue so it's understandable. In my case I have no excuse and found myself scratching my head. ;)

At these sorts of tables, I find I have to keep reminding myself to be patient and not be in a hurry to bust someone. There's nothing more frustrating than watching a regular sit down and first hand wipe out a bunch of soft spots with a set afetr you've been grinding for an hour....but that's just how it goes.

joxum said...

I guess being danish AND not having a swimming pool will sometimes let you down.


/j.

Anonymous said...

I blame bastin for no one getting "splashing the pot" out of "chlorinating the lawn." He did not construct a fully functional mousetrap. which is what vonnegut called jokes.

Congrats b, welcome to the club of the profitteers. Profit, ahoy!

Yeah

bastinptc said...

The kids next door had a pool. We had a hose with an old-fashion spray nozzle. We made up names for the force of the water flow: "baby spray" for the mist; "bullets" for that point just before the handle is fully depressed, at which point the spray was "nails."