Wednesday, March 11, 2009

bastin the LAGtard

After logging a successful session before the nacho dinner (I did my own version of refried beans with kidney beans, sofrito, smoked paprika, onions and garlic), I once again ht the $10 tables, to no avail. I believe I made $1.00 in 125 hands. Meh. So, I went to Poker Academy for some socializing, and added a little PAX (play money) to ubu roi’s roll when AQ was good for a double-up.

I must be an action junkie, because all the while I was playing at PA, I was trolling Stars for a PLO game. If I found a good one, I was going to jump back. What I found was Forrest Gump trying his hand at $25 PLO. How could I resist? I pulled up stakes. “Nite kids.”

I suppose I should clarify why I may be an action junkie. To be honest, I find playing with four cards to be more engaging, more of a challenge (in that I am very new to the game), and with more potential. The “potential” aspect may be the junkie fix. In my mind I free-associate drag racing. Yep, I’m an old speed freak.

As I’ve written many times in the past few months, PLO can be a vicious game. One’s made hand on the flop can be worthless on the turn and then become golden on a river redraw. The opposite is just as true, and both happen with regularity. Sometimes one is aware of this potential for disaster/success and can therefore minimize or maximize one’s loss or profit. Other times the nuts are hidden or seem like such a stretch that someone is going to be making some serious cash.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($27.90)
MP2 ($11.90)
MP3 ($27.95)
Hero (CO) ($27.70)
Button ($31.35)
SB ($27.55)
BB ($22.15)
UTG ($8)
UTG+1 ($16.95)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4, 5, 5, A

UTG calls $0.25, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.25, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, Button bets $1.50, 3 folds, MP2 calls $1.25, Hero calls $1.25

Flop: ($5.10) 3, 6, 5 (3 players)

MP2 bets $4.85, Hero calls $4.85, 1 fold

Turn: ($14.80) 5 (2 players)

MP2 bets $5.55 (All-In), Hero calls $5.55

River: ($25.90) 3 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $25.90 | Rake: $1.25

Results:

MP2 had 6, 6, 7, 9 (full house, sixes over fives).

Hero had 4, 5, 5, A (four of a kind, fives).

Outcome: Hero won $24.65



As I’ve noted in previous posts, I will play these small hands on occasion. The thinking behind it is quite simple. I’m hoping that the other players are staring at Broadway wraps and I take the low road.

A middle set and a straight draw on the flop. The big bet causes me some concern. I ran the possibilities: 4-7; 666; the almighty 2-4? The only one that really made sense given his call of the big raise preflop was a wrap with 4-7. Still, who is laying my hand down? As it turned out, he was protecting his set, and aside from pairing the board, hitting another six or making his gutshot, I had a few out of my own.

An all-in bet of $5.55 with quad fives… I couldn’t resist.
bastinptc said, "555 is a good number"
Of course, as I was typing, I became aware of the fact that I was slow-rolling. A bit of remorse set in and I should have apologized, but I didn’t get a chance to do so.

DancinRick69 said, "lol what a joke hit the only out in the deck"
DancinRick69 said, "thats fcking bs"
Forrest Gump said, "give thas monies back"
bastinptc said, "Omaha"

Yeah, Omaha. A couple players across the table from me took shots and I had to fold flopped straights, one to a flush and another to a rivered boat, and my stack took a bit of a hit, yet not as big as it could have. All in a day’s work, right? Keep plugging away…

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.25 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 ($4.65)
CO ($23.90)
Hero (Button) ($37.50)
SB ($26.35)
BB ($13.60)
UTG ($27.25)
MP1 ($22.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6, J, 9, 9

4 folds, Hero calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, BB checks

Flop: ($0.75) 8, A, 9 (3 players)

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.75, 1 fold, BB calls $0.75

Turn: ($2.25) 10 (2 players)

BB checks, Hero bets $1.50, BB raises to $6.65, Hero calls $5.15

River: ($15.55) 8 (2 players)

BB bets $5.95 (All-In), Hero calls $5.95

Total pot: $27.45 | Rake: $1.30

Results:

Hero had 6, J, 9, 9 (full house, nines over eights).

BB had 2, A, Q, J (straight, Queen high).

Outcome: Hero won $26.15

I’m not proud of this hand by any means. If anything, It perfectly demonstrates my rookie status at PLO. I should have controlled the size of the pot by checking the turn as he did. His check-raise was a good move but I had a straight draw of my own now.

bastinptc said, "he had me until river"
FG said, "not the first time u dirty river rat"
FG said, "with orange teeth"

So, I got lucky on both hands. I read the board as having potential when I actually was further behind than I thought. Even though I am back to over $500 for a bankroll, I realize that it has come despite a rather significant leak in my game.

No comments: