Friday, March 13, 2009

Position, position, position

Gump and I have played PLO together several times over the last month, and even when he's not at the table, bless his heart, he likes to sweat my game. The boy can multitask well enough that he will occasionally email me while we're playing, or even while just on the rail to ask me about a hand that I played.

As he can attest, I manage some odd wins with marginal hands. Sometimes I'm in the hand just because I have a particular read on a player. For instance, if a guy is continually raising preflop, regardless of position, I will call light. If I hit top two pair with no draws on the board, we're off to the races. Other times I will call from the Button, just because I can and the price is right.

I was called a fkin clown after this one:

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $0.25 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($25)
UTG ($10.95)
UTG+1 ($44.50)
MP1 ($8.75)
MP2 ($55.05)
MP3 ($28.20)
CO ($16.50)
Hero (Button) ($24.50)
SB ($28.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9, 2, 10, 8

UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, 2 folds, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, BB checks

Flop: ($1.75) J, 4, Q (7 players)

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $1, 1 fold, MP1 calls $1, 1 fold, Hero calls $1, 2 folds

I like my hand. With better than 3 to 1, I call. If a King comes, I'm dead only to a Broadway draw, which may be out there based on the smallish lead and call. I could raise, but I could be looking at the idiot end on the next card, so I'm hoping to keep the pot small.

Turn: ($4.75) 7 (3 players)

UTG bets $3.75, 1 fold, Hero calls $3.75

This card opens it up a bit more, giving me the flush draw as well. I don't have enough fingers to count my outs. Well, yes I do. I know, for instance, that if a 9 or 10 hits, my straight could be in jeopardy. I have to start hoping for a heart. Yet, another thought crosses my mind. I had a ssumed that one or both opponents on the flop had a draw. The larger bet size relative to the pot on the turn, with a fairly innocuous card makes me wonder if I am not up against a set. In effect, this closes a few more doors. And OMG, what if I'm up against a better flush draw, straight draw and a set all in the same hand?!?! After all, this is Omaha.

Well, to be honest, I didn't get past two pair with a better straight draw. I could drive myself crazy if the clock ran for a longer time. I called with my two draws and left it at that. Yet, I must say that if the card had not been a heart, or a 7, I probably would have been gone. For that matter, if he would have made a bigger bet on the flop, or check-raised, would I still be in this hand?

River: ($12.25) 8 (2 players)

The perfect card. There couldn't be a better card than an 8.

UTG bets $5.95 (All-In), Hero calls $5.95

OK, there's a 7,8,J,Q on the board and your opponent has been calling the whole way. What would you think? Getting 2:1 to beat a bluff, so just lead out?

Total pot: $24.15 | Rake: $1.15

Results:

Hero had 9, 2, 10, 8 (straight, Queen high).

UTG had 3, Q, 6, Q (three of a kind, Queens).

Outcome: Hero won $23

No comments: