Monday, March 2, 2009

The Position

It was time to restock the fuel for the pellet stove. I went back to the same hardware store/lumber yard I had gone to last time and had a different fella help me load the truck with six bags of wood pellets.

“You a big fisherman?” he asked. I figured he noticed my “Fear No Fish” logo.

“Not so big (if one doesn’t consider my abdomen), but I do like to fish.” As I’m replying to his question he is bent over, rolling up his right pant leg. He shows me a tattoo of the logo. “Nice.”

We then assume the position and have a nice chat about steelhead fishing on the coast and on the Santiam River, all the while being careful to not divulge the locations of our favorite fishing holes and limiting eye contact, as men are wont to do sometimes.

5 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Did DW take the photo, or did you set it up on a timer?

bastinptc said...

Funny you should ask. DW took the picture, and this comment will stand in as the photo credit she demanded lest legal action be pursued.

Crash said...

Mojo and I both want more photos like this. You owe us, for your click count if nothing else!
Concerning The Position, in addition to no eye contact, it is imperative that no matter what the weather, ones jacket must be OPEN. And no gloves. A friend here in MN was ice fishing with a another guy. They both were out on the ice as above. My friend "won" when he reached into the hole and cleared out some slush with his bare hands. The other guy zipped his jacket and put on his gloves.

bastinptc said...

Men...

Memphis MOJO said...

"My friend "won" when he reached into the hole and cleared out some slush with his bare hands."

Too funny!