Sunday, October 11, 2009

Left hanging

Thinking that I might have to change the order of avocations if I didn't post more poker soon, I encountered this hand just in time to save the edit.

It's the PLO round in the 8 Game. I limp on the Button after the CO does. The SB raises the pot size. The SB is full of shit, raising every hand. I have already stacked him in NLHE when he 3-bet my preflop raise and his post-flop bullets fired made no sense. In this hand, the CO, a fairly tight player, calls, and I do as well with Th2dKdQc. Three Broadways with a second nut flush. Is the 2d an issue? (When is a dangler a dangler?) Is the Kd good enough? I will make that determination on the flop.

The flop is 7dAhJd. I now have a hand. Any 10, K, Q or diamond. The SB bets the pot, CO calls, and so do I.

The turn is the 9h and I pick up more outs with any 8. The SB shuts down and the CO goes all-in with his last $4.83. There is now over $11.00 in the pot. Do I call? If he holds two hearts, my 8h, Qh and Kh outs are no good. He may in fact hold any of them.  He may also now have a Jack-high straight and be freerolling to the flush. Heck, he may even have the nut diamond draw in there with a set of some kind. Whatever he has, he feels good about it. Easy fold or is the roughly 2.5:1 good enough?

My next question concerns the SB. He still has about $7.50 behind. If I call, will he do so as well, thereby making my odds to call that much better? I take a chance. The SB folds.

The river is a 3s and the CO shows a set of Jacks with 7cAsJhJs.

I ran this hand through the Card Player Omaha calculator to see what was what. Preflop I'm 44/55. Not too unusual in Omaha. On the flop I'm even money, even though he hits his set. I slip to 42/57 on the turn. The Hand Calculator, of course is useful in hindsight, so let's see what I had available to me to make my hand, and for him to improve.

He did not have a heart draw, so that opens it back up for me. However, any 7,  9 or Ace gives him a boat, and the remaining J, quads. That's seven outs to improve. That leaves me with four 8s, three 10s,  two Queens, and two Kings, and four baby diamonds (3-6). 15 outs. 

How could I not call?

5 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

I'm not very Omaha sophisticated, but it looks to me like you played it correctly on every street, or at least after the flop. Right?

Anonymous said...

I fold the turn.

I don't have the nut flush draw and I don't have a made hand.

The dynamics changed on the turn. When that happens flopping is seldom a huge mistake.

As to whether a baby that works with a a second nut flush is a dangler or not is a matter of semantics only up to a point.

:)

aki

Anonymous said...

If you want to increase your readership, it strikes me that commenting on current events can't possibly hurt.
Current events that you care about, that is.
:)

Anonymous said...

meant to say "folding is seldom a big mistake"

bastinptc said...

I tanked for a bit on this hand, and a little voice inside said I was gambling. That should have been been a clue.

As for current events, I am interested only to a point, and have opinions that lack authority of research or scholarship. I already write about what I care about, increased readership be hanged. (Yeah, I know, a breakthrough.)