Friday, September 25, 2009

Soft


I played a little poker last night. So what……..else is new?

I hit the 8 Game. I wish I could write about it, still a bit too fuzzy on the stud game (is Razz considered one?) and Triple Draw, yet maybe I can if I download some hand histories. Probably more questions than anything else. Stand by.

I also fired up a couple $1 Double or Nothings just to see if I could do it. One turbo, one not. Turbo started before the not-turbo and had more players left early in the going. I never went below ten big blinds in either, built late and handed the deciding bubble blow at both tables. Yay me.

OK, back to the 8 Game. You know you’ve sat down to something special when the first thing you see is chat like this: “A raise and a re-raise and you call with 97?” The game was No Fold ‘em. Now, just to figure out who the player was berating.

Limit O8:
VBOOS: raises $0.20 to $0.40
sportweek: raises $0.20 to $0.60
** RIVER *** [Jh 5h Qd 9h] [2c]
Seat 3: VBOOS (button) showed [5d 3h 7h Ad] and won ($3.43) with HI: a flush, Jack high
Seat 4: sportweek (small blind) mucked [Ac Ah Qc 3d]

…and so on. He kept betting with basically nothing, would not fold, and he kept hitting. And so the table got even more funky. Sportweek, the commentator above started doing the same, raising with nothing, hitting a pair of fives on the river in stud against me with nothing more than a pair of fours in the hole and one helluva draw showing. And so…

Stud:
Seat 3: VBOOS showed [Qc Ac 3c 6d 7c 6h 8s] and lost with a pair of Sixes
Seat 5: bastinptc (button) showed [2d Kd As Qh 3s 4d 5s] and won ($6.36) with a straight, Ace to Five

VBOOS left shortly thereafter, and I knew I should as well.

2 comments:

Crash said...

Yup, Razz is a stud game. At least, it can be said that 7-card stud rules apply to it. Stud is a good game to know. You need skills beyond games where the only up cards are community cards. You have to remember up cards that were folded. Can't use'em.

Forrest Gump said...

B, there's some recent podcasts on 'cash plays' where Greg Raymer gave a whole bunch of tips about triple draw. I found it easy to listen to and pretty useful for a 2-7 noob.