Saturday, September 26, 2009

Yet



It was a good day to be out and about, and after not finding what I sought, I turned my trusty steed south. Regardless of ambivalence toward final resting places, last week’s visit persisted, not because of the place, but for those who have gone on before me. Class was still in session.

I cannot say that I come from a long line of Masons; yet I am aware of three generations. My grandfather on my DM’s side wore his ring in place of a wedding band, and my DGM participated in the Eastern Star; one of their sons is a member in membership only; and, my brother, a man who would do so for two reasons: Grandfather and because he’d try anything once. Thinking it might be a way to keep a memory, I once inquired of the local hardware store owner, also a wearer of the ring. I went to a breakfast for introduction but, resistant to rote and an attitude perceived, took it no further.

The place was bigger than I thought it might be, with fewer symbols than I supposed, though a significant number stones were facing east. Even though many markers were as old as those I saw last week, except for one, they were all intact or repaired, which may be why my focus shifted to words.

 
 



4 comments:

TenMile said...

The Masonic Order is not about public display. Ritual is comprised of lessons and personal meaning therein derived from and preserved by, symbols.

It is not a religion.

bastinptc said...

"It is not a religion."

Most likely the biggest misconception.

In re-reading my post, I can imagine that my comment about "rote" may be misunderstood. I was unclear. I should have written 'terrified" by it. I even choke on John 3:16 if in a public forum.

TenMile said...

And, as I said, Masonry is not about publicity. Or display.

It is about how one lives their life. Which is not for public display - unless one choses.

Unfortunately, people seem to need display to justify existence. Sad, that.

Others, in this case, I believe you may, not realize how bound you are in belief; of proper conduct towards your neighbor, your associates and to, even, animals.

Proper is proper, after all, and you, through experience, education, training and thought, have developed behavior, which if codified, would amount to religion.

Even while rejecting overt belief of such.

Spooky, isn't it?

bastinptc said...

google ads sparked by my email notifications on this topic...

It would seem that codification, if that is sufficient criterion, would make many things a religion: tenets of a nation, a military, and perhaps a few things more mundane.

And I begin to stray into territory not meant for this blog.

Yes, it is spooky. More a quagmire.